Safety Tips for Black Friday Shoppers
In the Store:
- There is safety in numbers. Bring a friend or family member with you for extra safety, and a little extra fun on your shopping trip. If you cannot find someone to come along, avoid walking alone and ask amall security officer to walk you to your car if you feel unsafe.
- Bring and use only ONE credit card. Credit cards help to avoid the theft or loss of large amounts of cash which is irreplaceable; also, if your credit card is stolen, it’s much easier to cancel and replace one card as opposed to all of them.
- If you must use cash, use an ATM in well-populated, well lit locations. NEVER throw ATM receipts away at the ATM location.
- Keep purses and bags zipped and on your body at all times. Never leave your purse or bag unattended or in a shopping cart. Thieves will be on the lookout for purses left open or unattended.
- Carry your car keys, cash, and credit card separate from each other. If possible, carry these items in your pocket and leave your purse at home. Too many women have their purse, or the contents of their purse, stolen on Black Friday.
On the Road and in the Parking Lot:
- Put all of your packages in the trunk before leaving one store and driving to another. Waiting until you get to the next store allows others to see bags and gifts go into the trunk and then you heading into the mall or store.
- Avoid parking next to vans and large trucks that block your car from the view of others or block your view to fully see around you.
- Lock all doors and hide any items that could be stolen, even if you’re only leaving your car for a short period of time.
- When backing out of a parking space, look for cars waiting for your space, other drivers backing out at the same time, and those who may be speeding through the parking lot.
- When shopping, keep packages in the trunk or hidden from view in the interior of the car.
- Look underneath your car and in your backseat before you get into your vehicle. Criminals have been known to lie underneath your car or in your backseat waiting to attack you when you enter your car.
- Park directly under lights whenever possible.
- Always bring packages into the house instead of leaving them in the car.
Many of these tips seem obvious and our common sense tells us we would never do anything other than follow these tips. But, every year we read stories of people who fall prey to thieves and identity fraud during the holiday shopping season.
Your agency team at Southwest Premier Insurance Agency, LLC wishes you and your family a safe and secure shopping holiday season this year.
Author Richard Morris
Richard Morris, an independent insurance agent in Chandler, Arizona, has been serving and helping Arizona families with all their insurance needs for over 23 years. Visit his website at http://www.southwestpremierinsuranceagency.com to see all the ways he can help you with your insurance needs or call the office at (480) 336-2707 or toll free at (888) 907-9349. Connect with Rich on Google+ and Twitter.